Investigating the Internet
The Investigating on the Internet course is designed to equip participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct effective online investigations. In today’s digital age, the internet serves as a vast repository of information, and understanding how to navigate and leverage it for investigative purposes is crucial. This two-day course will provide participants with practical techniques, tools, and best practices for conducting online investigations, gathering evidence, and extracting valuable insights. Whether you are a law enforcement professional, private investigator, corporate security personnel, or simply interested in enhancing your investigative skills, this course will empower you to effectively utilize the internet as a valuable investigative resource.
- Date: January 18th – 19th
- Duration: 2 days
- Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Credit: 4
- Non Members: 550,000
- Understand the fundamentals of online investigations and their importance in various domains.
- Develop effective strategies for gathering and evaluating digital evidence from online sources.
- Learn advanced search techniques to efficiently locate relevant information on the internet.
- Explore specialized search engines, databases, and open-source intelligence (OSINT) tools for investigation purposes.
- Master techniques for conducting social media investigations and extracting valuable insights.
- Identify and assess online risks and threats, including fraud, cybercrime, and misinformation.
- Understand legal and ethical considerations associated with online investigations.
- Apply practical methods for preserving and documenting digital evidence for legal purposes.
- Enhance critical thinking and analytical skills to interpret online information effectively.
Who Should Attend:
- Law enforcement professionals involved in criminal investigations.
- Private investigators seeking to enhance their digital investigation skills.
- Corporate security personnel responsible for conducting internal investigations.
- Legal professionals involved in digital evidence collection.
- Individuals are interested in improving their online investigation capabilities.
- Basic computer literacy and familiarity with internet usage.
- No specific technical expertise is required.
Method of Delivery:
- Online: The course will be delivered through a virtual learning platform. Participants will have access to course materials, lectures, and interactive exercises.
- In Person: The course will be conducted at a physical location. Participants will engage in face-to-face instruction, hands-on exercises, and group discussions.
Completion Certificate: Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate of completion, which can be used to claim Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credits.
Module 1: Introduction to Online Investigations
- Understanding the role and scope of online investigations
- Key Concepts and Terminology in internet investigations
- Legal and ethical considerations in online investigations
Module 2: Search Techniques and Tools
- Advanced search techniques for efficient information retrieval
- Utilizing specialized search engines and databases
- Introduction to open-source intelligence (OSINT) tools
Module 3: Gathering and Evaluating Digital Evidence
- Strategies for identifying and preserving digital evidence
- Evaluating the reliability and credibility of online information
- Introduction to digital forensics principles
Module 4: Social Media Investigations
- Techniques for conducting social media investigations
- Extracting and analyzing information from social media platforms
- Investigating online communities and user-generated content
Module 5: Assessing Online Risks and Threats
- Identifying common online risks and threats
- Investigating cybercrime, fraud, and online scams
- Detecting and combating misinformation and fake news
Module 6: Documenting and Reporting Findings
- Best practices for documenting investigative findings
- Presenting evidence in a clear and concise manner
- Preparing investigative reports for legal and organizational purposes
Note: The course outline is subject to change based on the instructor’s discretion and the needs of the participants
Register for ACFE Africa Year-End Event
Join us in marking the Fraud Awareness Week, that will run from 12th to 18th November 2023.
- ACFE Uganda Chapter Spearheads Anti-Fraud Crusade in Africa
- Fraud Awareness Week (12th – 18th November 2023) Partnership Benefits
- The future of ACFE, Uganda Chapter, 2023 & beyond
- Thanks a lot for supporting International Fraud Awareness Week 2022
- Police launch an investigation on the bank of Uganda ugx27b Fraud